Thursday, September 9, 2010

Peace in a Best Buy parking lot.

Last week I had one of "those" weeks where things seem to be a bit wonky and then BLAMM-O, my cell phone died and I lost all my contacts....truly a moment of questioning how great cell phones are. So I started out my Friday morning with how I was going to deal with getting the phone situation dealt with before my painting class at 10:30. I was supposed to take my car into the shop but that got superseded by the phone however, I couldn't cancel my appointment because I didn't have the mechanics number....remember, ALL my contacts had vanished. In a moment of clarity, I realized I have Skype so I was able to access the mechanics number and skype them to cancel, WHEW! One task down.....

Then onto to Radio Shack, they open at 9:30 so the timing was perfect. I would get a battery for the phone, plug it in, charge it up, get my contacts back and all would be good.....WRONG. Radio Shack doesn't carry the battery for the phone I have. Now, as time is ticking away, I decide to hightail it to Best Buy and see if they have a battery. I arrive Best Buy in good time, only to have them still be closed; they open at 10:oo and it's 9:53. I have a moment of thinking I can do one more errand and then get back to Best Buy, run into the store, get the battery and get to my painting class all by 10:30 and all of a sudden a voice from somewhere inside yelled out "STOP!" Just STOP! You have 7mins before this store opens. Sit in the car and relax. SLOW down, breath and settle down. It's all going to be fine." So, I listen, I shut off the car and I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths in hopes of calming my brain down.

When I opened my eyes and looked out into the parking lot the most amazing image appeared.
3 small Asian women were doing this beautiful, peaceful, slow moving dance routine. They were mirroring each others moves and at times they looked like elegant cranes moving gracefully across the marsh and other times they looked like little girls playing and mocking each others moves. They were moving so succinctly, so peacefully and so present in their movements that it was mesmerizing to the observer. People who were waiting at the doors of Best Buy to open were all watching them, some would just glance and then turn away, others were as mesmerized by them as I was, completely enchanted by their freedom to dance, and practice something they enjoyed , the peaceful smiles on their faces reflected that. At one point I had to blink my eyes in order to make sure I wasn't imagining this lovely image.

After a few minutes (7 to be exact) people started going into the store, the store was now open for business. As I got out of the car I felt so calm and peaceful. I approached the women who were finishing up their routine and I thanked them for making waiting for Best Buy to open one of the most enjoyable experiences of my week. They giggled, not understanding my gratitude for only one understood English.

7 mins of pure peace and bliss. 7 mins to slow down and be given a gift from some random strangers who were honoring their time as they waited for Best Buy to open. It was lovely and felt like such a sweet gift to have been given. Such a nice pause in a crazy-making morning.
Best Buy didn't have the battery either but my brain could handle that information better and I proceeded to plan B (buying a new phone) and then heading to my painting class, which I made in time, with a much calmer, grounded perspective, after watching the dancing women in the Best Buy parking lot.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tara - know your Mom and Dad and had dinner with them in Auburn on Aug 21 - they told me about the workshop you did that same day and I asked about your web site. Really enjoyed this account of the parking lot experience. Do you think the ladies were doing TaiChi or Qigong movements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    It turns out it was some old Hawaiian folk dance. It was really lovely; playful and sweet and very peaceful. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete